How to Market a Fitness Center with as little as $500 and turn your fitness business around 100% with these fitness business apps and Gym Marketing Tactics
I know what I would do because had to do it.
I was down to what I decided was the last $500 I would put into my gym business and if it didn’t work, I’d get out.
My wife and I decided after being in business for 5 years of owning a regular gym, We agreed that if we didn’t get more than the 50 members we had, we’d close up tighter than a 7th grade love note.
For the first 5 years after I started my gym I followed all the other gym and marketed the same way they did, which was not at all or with cheesy display ads. I couldn’t find the right gym marketing system in the daylight with a flashlight.
What I did was spend a whole month doing the following to Market my Gym:
To begin with, I changed the colors of our gym from the dark depressing blue to a Yellow and Orange Sun Burst color for the feeling of energy.
I even worked Christmas day and New Years day painting. But while I painted, I bought every Marketing audio book I could and listened to them while I worked. Needless to say, I was so hyped up from all the learning and ideas flying around my lightly haired head that I couldn’t sleep at all. I couldn’t wait to start on Marketing my gym.
I started at night practicing writing and perfecting my 4 page Brochures, yes 4 pages, and YES they were read completely by most. What I did was, after I built my website in the beginning, I basically printed a copy of my website and put them in a clear “Take One Box” on the outside of the door to my gym. This was a great tool because most people if they came up during non-open door hours, would get one and have all the info they could stand about the gym.
P.S. Put prices and membership options on your brochures and website for all to see. Your’e not a used car salesperson and have the “If I can just get them into the door” mentality. You’ll lose business faster than a hooker with a fever blister.
NOTE: I had already converted my gym into a 24 hour Fitness Center at this point but still had no one coming in and I couldn’t figure out why. Here’s what I found out over my 11 years of owning my gym and making it successful.
Fitness Marketing Separation- definition by Shannon Cook: Being in a crowd of other gyms, holding your gym up and waving it like hell until the prospect notices you and ask you “why should I come to your gym over all these others surrounding you?”, Then giving them reasons until they say OK!
So…. I got the painting done, cleaned the place like the bathroom at Ritz Carlton lobby, then went to Marketing.
Here’s what I would do TODAY if I only had five hundred dollars and One month to make it work or go under.
- Website: Even the 70 year old people now are using “The iphone” as they say, to look everything up. If you aren’t following everything I laid out in the book, its too much to go in depth here, but I’ll condense it like the 12 days of fitness marketing if I can.
First off go to www.templegym.tv and you can see the template I used that works as well as any gym’s website ever. But come back here after you take a gander.
2. Email Auto Responder– get an Email Auto Responder system from aweber, and start collecting emails, I can’t tell you enough what this will do for your business, but you must send the right emails out, no crap like catch phrases. Nothing like “your gym, your life”, would you open that? I don’t think so. This is where a copywriter can help you, I learned from writing hundreds of emails what would get opened and what wouldn’t. Click HERE to get your aweber account going now.
Something like “I’f I get divorced I’m blaming you”. that got opened a lot, then of course you have to keep them reading past the title all the way to the end. In the end I led them to a special I was running at the gym and I may get divorced for doing it because it was so good, like when I first started offering a 30 day guarantee which my wife didn’t really like at all, but ended up trusting me.
3. Video Tour- After the website was right, then email form in place, I then made a video tour. click the link to see mine. This was the best salesperson I ever had. It pre-sold 95% of my memberships for me. Prospects would come into the gym and I would start to show them around and they would almost always say “no thanks, I know how everything works, I saw your video”
4. Have A Guarantee!- You will probably be scared to do this one, but its a proven fact, If your product or service is any good at all then you’ll have very few returns. I only gave money back one time ever! Out of hundreds of memberships sold.
I found it worked so well that I went to a 60 day guarantee the last two years and never had one come back and ask for their money back. I believed in my gym, I even offer my book with a 6 month guarantee because i’ve only ever had one person want their money back after reading it too. Your not the gym for everyone, but a gym is an emotional experience and once they actually make the decision to try you out basically they’ve decided almost no matter what they don’t want to go through the process of changing. I have also found out that after they have joined my email list, they usually take 3 to 6 months to decide to join, but after their in your gym marketing funnel along with 300 others you can imagine how the compound effect starts to roll and there’s always someone coming in from an email or the website.
Everything I just mentioned, Getting a website template and hosting account, email auto responder, youtube video and put it on your website, and Offering a Guarantee will only cost you less than a hundred dollars.
Then i’d spend the remaining $400 on radio ads.
5. Radio Ads- Yes, I’d pour every last dime into radio ads, not facebook ads or google ad words, If I had to make sure my message got out asap or I was going to be out of business, I’d do this one last thing. A radio ad blast. I had such good luck doing the combination of the above things, then radio ads, that I’d spend my last dime on them. click on the text to be taken to my website where you can hear some of my radio ads for yourself.
Here’s how I used the combo from all the things above:
The Radio ads drove people to call or to the website, the website to the email sign up form or to watch the video tour, the sign up form to the emails themselves, the emails to the website or the gym, the Guarantee hopefully sends them over the edge of just “thinking” about it to “trying” it out.
Now, if you want to find all the above fitness marketing tactics and how to start a 24 hour gym in exact detail, go to www.how2ownagym.com
To get all the secrets about how to Market your gym and turn your business around, get the book now.
Get the Book “Marketing Dumbbells” to discover exactly “How I took my Gym form 46 members to 304 in less than 3 months”